By Steven M. Glassman
Director of Sports Information
May 17, 2018
JENKINTOWN, PA—Manor College handed out its annual student-athlete awards in a ceremony at its Gymnasium on Sunday, May 6. Each sport (Baseball, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Men's Soccer, and Women's Volleyball) handed out awards for Most Valuable Player, Coaches Award, and Most Improved. New awards were also given out for Athletic Academic Initiative, Terrell L. Bruce Memorial Most Valuable Player (Men's Basketball), Tim Stokes Memorial Coach's, and Special Recognition. The Brian Barry Award was also handed out for each sport instead of one student-athlete. Blue Jays' Athletic Director John Dempster served as the Master of Ceremonies.
Baseball (Presented by Head Coach Jose Toledo)
- Most Valuable Player Award: Jose Romero, FR, SS (Philadelphia, PA/Frankford)
- Coaches Award: Abdur-Rauf Mujahid, FR, CF (Philadelphia, PA/Boys Latin)
- Most Improved Award: Hector Morales, FR, INF (Philadelphia, PA/Esperanza Charter)
Men's Basketball (Presented by Athletics Coordinator Dave Ellerbee)
- Most Improved Award: Antonio Willis, SO, F (Newark, NJ/Newark)
Women's Basketball (Presented by Assistant Coach Shay Collins)
- Most Valuable Player Award: Kelicia Brown, SO, F (Philadelphia, PA/Lincoln)
- Most Improved Award: Chenia Maldonado, FR, F (Trenton, NJ/Fels [PA])
Men's Soccer (Presented by Dempster)
- Most Valuable Player Award: Damian Schweizer, SO, DEF (Philadelphia, PA/Franklin Towne Charter)
- Coaches Award: Arthur Greenwood III, SO, DEF (Philadelphia, PA/Philadelphia Academy Charter)
- Most Improved Award: Seykou Camara, SO, DEF (Philadelphia, PA/Kensington)
Sophomore goalkeeper Emanuel Caire (Philadelphia, PA/Fels) also received his 2017 Men's Soccer EPAC Division I Player-of-the-Year Award at this year's ceremony.
Women's Soccer (Presented by Head Coach Tom Gangi)
- Most Valuable Player Award: Dominique Calio, FR, MF (Philadelphia, PA/Archbishop Ryan)
- Coaches Award: Erica Foreman, SO, MF (Philadelphia, PA/Archbishop Ryan)
- Most Improved Award: Alize Felton, FR, GK (New Castle, DE/William Penn)
Women's Volleyball (Presented by Head Coach Mark Adami)
- Most Valuable Player: Samantha Rahe-Krick, SO, S (Philadelphia, PA/Saul)
- Coaches Award: Samantha Diaz, FR, OH (Philadelphia, PA/Fels)
- Most Improved Award: Tyanna Williams, SO, Opposite (Philadelphia, PA/Saul)
The Brian Barry Award goes to the student-athlete that personifies good sportsmanship and is a team player. Each sport handed out this award instead of previous years when one person received this honor. Listed below are this year's recipients:
- Baseball: Trevor Schmanek, FR, LF (Philadelphia, PA/St. Joseph's Prep)
- Men's Basketball: Carl Benbow, FR, F (Philadelphia, PA/Northeast)
- Women's Basketball: Kiara Stovall, FR, G (Chester, PA/Ursuline Academy [DE])
- Men's Soccer: Jon Cabrera, SO, DEF (Aldan, PA/Mercy Vo-Tech)
- Women's Soccer: Lineth Ceciliano, FR, MF (Philadelphia, PA/Central)
- Women's Volleyball: Maryam Abdulmatin, FR, Opposite (Philadelphia, PA/Freire Charter)
The Terrel L. Bruce Memorial Most Valuable Player Award was presented by Ashley Levin, Advisory Council member of the Terrell L. Bruce Memorial Fund. This is the first year the Men's Basketball Most Valuable Player was given out in this format. Bruce played Men's Basketball for Manor College from 2002 through 2004. This award "goes to a basketball player who is the most talented overall." Sophomore guard Keithantonio Davis (Sicklerville, NJ/Eastern) is this year's recipient.
The Tim Stokes Memorial Coach's Award was presented by former Manor College Men's Basketball Head Coach (1994-1997 and 2009-2010) and current Valley Forge Military College Athletics Director Rich Casey. Stokes played Men's Basketball for the Blue Jays from 1994 through 1996. This is also another new award. This award "goes to one of the best basketball players on the team, but also shows outstanding leadership." Stovall is the first person to receive this honor.
The final award handed out was The Special Recognition Awards. This year's recipients are Dean of Students Allison Mootz and Director of Sports Information Steven Glassman for "In Grateful Appreciation for Your Time, Dedication and Hard Work to The Students and Staff of Manor College Athletics."
The Athletic Academic Initiative Award was presented by Dempster following this year's Commencement on Thursday, May 17. This is also the first year for this honor. This award "goes to an athlete who came back to education and showed academic and athletic excellence." Women's Soccer sophomore midfielder Gina Sgrillo (Philadelphia, PA/St. Hubert) was this year's recipient.
Dempster: "I am so proud of our dedicated athletic staff for making this event happen. To all of the award recipients, I want to thank you for your hard work and dedication to Manor College Athletics. We are truly honored to have you forever in our Blue Jay family."